Re: Ubuntu (was Re: meeting friday 2005-01-28)

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:25:49AM +0100, Martijn Heemels wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:51:59 +0100, Joost van Baal <joostvb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sounds interesting indeed.  I've been pushing Ubuntu a lot to others,
> > but actually never ever touched it myself...
>
> That sounds kind of strange, Joost. Based on reviews, or because it's
> built on Debian?

_Lots_ of distro's are based on Debian; even crappy ones :)

> I've been wondering if Ubuntu is something I can recommend to my
> non-linux-using friends, but without trying it myself I haven't dared to
> do so.

I've heard friends tell about it's suitability as a user friendly desktop
system, and I've read some new about it.

> I am myself a happy Gentoo user, but wouldn't recommend it to my
> friends
<snip>
> Right now, I'm still recommending Suse, but a modern, free, debian based
> desktop distro would be very welcome. Can any of you seriously recommend
> Ubuntu as a distro for your friends who know 'enough' about computers but
> nothing about linux?

Currently, yes: I believe Ubuntu Linux is the most logical choice for
people who need a desktop, don't want to invest time in solving problems
(it should "just work"), and can cope with a desktop without the
Microsoft tools they're probably used to work with.

After next meeting I am probably even more sure.

Bye,

Joost

<<inline: signature.asc>>