Ubuntu (was Re: meeting friday 2005-01-28)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:51:59 +0100, Joost van Baal <joostvb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sounds interesting indeed.  I've been pushing Ubuntu a lot to others,
> but actually never ever touched it myself...

That sounds kind of strange, Joost. Based on reviews, or because it's
built on Debian?
I've been wondering if Ubuntu is something I can recommend to my
non-linux-using friends, but without trying it myself I haven't dared to
do so. I am myself a happy Gentoo user, but wouldn't recommend it to my
friends, because:- Without a friendly installer, they need to know too much about their
hardware.- The build from source takes too long for newbies, and would give the
impression that Linux is slow and bulky, even though the end result is
fast.- The lack of a pre-configure desktop would cause them headaches before
they even got started.
Right now, I'm still recommending Suse, but a modern, free, debian based
desktop distro would be very welcome. Can any of you seriously recommend
Ubuntu as a distro for your friends who know 'enough' about computers but
nothing about linux?