Re: Ubuntu (was Re: meeting friday 2005-01-28)

Op wo, 22-12-2004 te 10:25 +0100, schreef Martijn Heemels:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:51:59 +0100, Joost van Baal <joostvb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sounds interesting indeed.  I've been pushing Ubuntu a lot to others,
> > but actually never ever touched it myself...
>
> That sounds kind of strange, Joost. Based on reviews, or because it's
> built on Debian?
> I've been wondering if Ubuntu is something I can recommend to my
> non-linux-using friends, but without trying it myself I haven't dared to
> do so. I am myself a happy Gentoo user, but wouldn't recommend it to my
> friends, because:- Without a friendly installer, they need to know too much about their
> hardware.- The build from source takes too long for newbies, and would give the
> impression that Linux is slow and bulky, even though the end result is
> fast.- The lack of a pre-configure desktop would cause them headaches before
> they even got started.
> Right now, I'm still recommending Suse, but a modern, free, debian based
> desktop distro would be very welcome. Can any of you seriously recommend
> Ubuntu as a distro for your friends who know 'enough' about computers but
> nothing about linux?

Yes I can, after having done about 10 installations on different (fairly
modern Intel) systems for (now ex-)Windows home and small business
users, and giving away the beautiful CD-packages and monitoring the
mailinglists and website, I really think that ubuntu is /a great/the
greatest/ package for getting Debian on desktops and meanwhile keeping
users and admins happy.

So, fill-in your address at http://www.shipit.ubuntulinux.org/ and order
the CD's, or maybe I can bring some on the next meeting (I gave away my
first shipment of 10 and am waiting for the next 70).

Regards,
Ronald