autotools and compiler detection (was: Re: talks at meetings ...)

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:45:07PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:29:17PM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:49:59PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>
> >> Is autoconfiscating worth it for non-C programs, for languages that
> >> have no portability issues?
>
> > I use it for all my projects.  Some contain only shell scripts, some
> > only Perl scripts, some only documentation.
>
> Does "./configure" even succeed if it doesn't find a C compiler? In
> examples, even if the configure.in contains no "this project uses C,
> find a compiler" (that I see), the configure has the C compiler
> detection.
>
> Example:
>
> ------------ end example ------------
> AC_PREREQ(2.52)
>
> AC_INIT(uf-view, 2.2, http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=uf-view)
<snip>
> data/Makefile
> po/Makefile.in
> ])
> ------------ end example ------------

I guess the C compiler detection is done due to some magic: e.g. since
.c source files were detected.  For a project containing no C source
files:

( http://mdcc.cx/caspar/  , cvs.caspar.alioth.debian.org ) :

joostvb@nagy:~/cv...debian.org/caspar/caspar% ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk