Re: talks at meetings [was: report on last meeting]

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:49:59PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:36:25PM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:

> >> I'm client for this one. Joost?
>
> > I can help someone autoconfiscating an existing project.
>
> Is autoconfiscating worth it for non-C programs, for languages that
> have no portability issues?

I use it for all my projects.  Some contain only shell scripts, some
only Perl scripts, some only documentation.

Supporting the --prefix argument of ./configure with very little fuzz is
useful always, I believe.   Same for the ``dist'' and ``distcheck'' make
targets.  And ``make uninstall'': another useful thing.  Having VERSION
of the package available everywhere (as a macro) in the sources, and
having to specify it just in one place.  Being reminded to ship NEWS,
ChangeLog, README, AUTHORS etc.  Just reimplementing these in a robust
way by hand generally takes more time than doing it with autotools.

> > I am interested in learning guile.  Anybody willing to help me get
> > started?
>
> I have general basic Scheme knowledge. This would get you started. If
> it is the interfacing with C you are interested in, I would be of no
> help, but you need to learn the language first anyway.

Looks like your help is just what I need :)

Bye,

Joost

<<inline: signature.asc>>