joostvb.ini : dhcp and masquerading-less use of Thomson (aka alcatel) modem (was: Re: ADSL experiences in the Eindhoven area: anyone?)

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:08:20AM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Joost van Baal writes:
>
> > I myself am using XS4ALL's ADSL, and am pretty happy with it.  I made my
> > modem dumb: http://mdcc.cx/xs4all/joostvb.ini : I'd like to do DHCP,
> > masquerading and DNS myself.
>
> Ah, that's just the information I was looking for; the specifications
> from xs4all on their modem scared me a bit.  So the modem won't be a
> problem for setting up ipsec from the firewall-pc, I take it.

You need a javascript-enabled browser to pass your password to the
modem, using the webserver on the modem.  Once that's done, you can
do

set your box's IP adress to something in 10.0.0.*.

ftp 10.0.0.138

(or whatever IP your modem is using)

ftp-put joostvb.ini in the /dl directory

If you need to reactivate the configuration, do:

220 Inactivity timer = 120 seconds. Use 'site idle <secs>' to change.
Name (10.0.0.138:joostvb):
<press enter>
Password:
<press enter>
230 OK
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd /dl
250 Changed to /dl
ftp> site config load filename=joostvb.ini
200-
200 CLI command "config loadfilename" executed
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.  You uploaded 0 and downloaded 0 kbytes.

# pptp 10.0.0.138 file /etc/ppp/options.adsl

Read the xs4all info on the pptp options.

Bye,

Joost

<<inline: signature.asc>>