Re: report on last meeting

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:09:28PM +0100, Jama Poulsen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 03:20:58PM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:
> > A small report on the meeting, so that people who weren't there know
> > what they've missed :)
> >
> > About 13 people attended the meeting, which lasted from 20:00 to 03:00.
> > Henk Kuijpers gave an excellent presentation about the introduction of
> > Open Source and GNU/Linux at the Rabobank.  (Thanks to Kees Stravers and
> > Stedelijk College Eindhoven(?) for supplying the beamer!)
>
> Yes, thanks for the Rabo presentation and the SCE beamer!
> The presentation really sparked some interesting and funny dialogs.
>
> > What do people think about the space at my place?  Was it OK?  Should we
> > look for another location?
>
> The room is excellent, with the large table in the center, kitchen,
> different furniture, the terras (and the beamer :-).

Sorry for the late reaction, but I fully agree. Joost: I liked it very much
at your place.

> > For sure I very much enjoyed the meeting; C u next time!
>
> me too.
>
> Perhaps next time we should allow people to request a presentation type?
> Something they would like to know more about. After people cast their vote
> on a topic, some people could prepare for a small presentation and help
> guide the discussion.
>
> Some ideas:
>   - Setting up a XFree86 based thin-client system with 'old' hardware
>     and a fast server.
>   - Explain and demo free software games (freeciv, bzflag,
>     free quake engine mods, flightgear, egoboo, gtkgo, etc.)
[..]

If I can find the time, and people are interested, I can give a small demo
on doing a Debian network install with an alternate kernel (e.g. in case
your hardware is too new for the default kernel & drivers to support both
disk and network as I encountered last year).

Cheers,

Jan Stap