Re: talks at meetings

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:11:51PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:09:28PM +0100, Jama Poulsen wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 03:20:58PM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:
>
> > Perhaps next time we should allow people to request a presentation
> > type?  Something they would like to know more about. After people
> > cast their vote on a topic, some people could prepare for a small
> > presentation and help guide the discussion.
>
> Hmm... Volunteering?

Yes, but I hope others will also get involved.

> Anyway, I think starting the meeting with a presentation is a good
> idea. I certainly won't want it to become the major part of the
> meeting [1]. The "free for all", "many subgroups doing whatever is
> cool in the moment" is, IMHO, what makes the uniqueness of Enosig
> meetings. Maybe I'm just being paranoid in fearing such a drifting.

I agree :-) Maximum presentation time should be about one hour, after
that people can do whatever they want.

> >   - OpenLDAP directory management and applications
>
> Would actually like something like this, in the direction of having a
> shared address book, plus personal, per-user address books, for a
> company.

I'll see if I can present this. Not sure yet about the setup for
the per-user address books in OpenLDAP.

> Some of these seem to me like they fit the "workshop" model better
> than the talk: People bring hardware and actually do the stuff under
> supervision of the "speaker".

I disagree, It all depends on what the majority of people would
like to hear and see. I'd be interested in seeing a presentation
about a good free software game, a sound tracker, or 3D drawing
with Blender.

I also believe the enosig meeting will then attract more
non-developers/non-it-workers, but people just interested in
using free software.

Jama Poulsen