GNU/Linux on Centrino laptops (was: Re: GNU/Linux on laptops)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:26:52PM +0100, Martijn Knuiman wrote:
> >I have installed Debian Woody (or was it still potato?)
> >successfully on an HP laptop in the past. The question is:
> >What chip is providing the onboard WiFi? If it is the Intel
> >Centrino stuff, last time I checked, no drivers. See
> http://tuxmobil.org/centrino.html
>

> Yeah, it's Intel Centrino stuff, with all kind of need buttons on the
> outside of my laptop to enable/disable wireless connections. I hope the
> Centrino will be supported soon. I'll bring some bootable CD's, and we
> might be the first ones to install debian on a centrino :P

Forget it, you're not the first by miles :P I've got Debian running on
my ASUS M3700N (Centrino), the only thing that won't work is the onboard
wireless stuff. Rest of it runs just fine.

Important hint: try the 2.4.23 or 2.6.0 kernels. Those have important
ACPI fixes for the buggy BIOSes of Centrino laptops. And you'll need
XFree v4.3 for the DRM/DRI intel stuff.

Drivers for the onboard stuff will probably be released somewhere in the
first quarter of '04.

I'll probably attend the meeting too! So see you all the 9th.

Jeroen

> Martijn

> Martijn Knuiman
> Student Information Management at Tilburg University
> mail: martijn@xxxxxxxxxxx

<<inline: signature.asc>>