Re: [Andreas.Rathke@xxxxxxx: ESA Research Fellowship in Collaborative Open Design (Postdoctoral Position)]

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 16:28 +0200, Joost van Baal wrote:
> FYI: een Free Software baan.

I have been to ESTEC begin this year on excursion with our students
association. Someone asked about what the chances of getting a job at
ESA are.

The man told us that the best chances we would have if we marry a
Portugese woman, get the Portugese nationality and then you might be
able to get a job: The ratio of nationalities is determined by how much
money the governments spend in ESA.

ESTEC, historically, has many Dutch employees. The Dutch government
however spends much less than there are Dutch employees. So the current
generation will have to go on 'prepensioen' first, before any new Dutch
candidate is considered (unless of course you have outstanding grades
and a master thesis that has changed the world of physics dramatically).

It is a pity, I'd have liked to do an internship or graduation there,
but that is also bound to this ratio (and I'm afraid I'm not good enough
for them, too).

Gr,
Christian