Re: battle of the platforms

On 26 Jul 2004 at 20:13, Joost van Baal wrote:

> I believe it's next to impossible to install a MS Windows system these
> days: once it's hooked on the network to install a personal firewall and
> virusscanner, the virusses are there before the security software is
> operational.  Same for Windows-update: one needs an internet connection
> to get these updates.

This is indeed true, if you connect a computer to an unprotected cable
modem and proceed to install windows, you will have contracted several
virsuses before you get a chance to finish windows update. There should
be windows update cds that go with the standard windows cd that patch
the system all at once, so no internet connection is needed during the
install.

If you connect to the internet through an external firewall (router, linux box)
and have no other windows boxes on the segment behind the firewall,
chances are you'll finish the install OK.

Kees