the autotools workshop (was: Re: things to do at fri 2004-05-28 meeting ...)

Hoi Jan,

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 03:52:43PM +0200, Jan Stap wrote:

> Sounds we have more than enough for one evening. 99% chance I'll be
> there (lot on my hands lately). In that case, I'll be a happy volunteer
> for autoconfiscation of some software project (e.g. an ogg/mp3 CD label
> generator (Perl + gd grafics lib), or an image viewer in Javascript).
> Or a script keeping web sites up to date from a set of CVS modules.

Cool.  Can I fetch the code of these projects from some website?  Any of
the projects will do, I guess.

> Joost, I assume you have a screen & keyboard for the workshop?
> (I should buy a laptop one of these days).

I will bring my old laptop.  If somebody is willing to share a car, I
can bring an old PC too.

For those who don't know what this autoconfiscation is all about: Eric S
Raymond has something to say about it in 'The Art of Unix Programming':
see http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch15s04.html#id2987644 and
http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch17s05.html#id3000984 .

People interested in the Autotools workshop might want to install on
their Unix(-like) system:

 Autobook ( http://mdcc.cx/autobook/ )
 Gnu Automake (a recent one, including its documentation)
 Gnu Autoconf (including its documentation)
 Gnu Libtool

 Optionally: autoconf-archive ( http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/ )

Further optional reading: GNU coding standards (
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.html ).

Jan: if you can't make it, please let me know in advance.  A volunteer
with a to-be-autoconfiscated project is needed for the workshop.

Bye,

Joost

<<inline: signature.asc>>