Last meeting

Hi,

A short account of what happened during the last meeting for those
that didn't come (or left early):

After some time settling (getting the food out, etc), the real party
could begin.

Martijn Hemels had brought his heavy-weight tower Pentium IV with two
hard disks and so many operating systems. In order not to subject him
to public blame, I won't mention the name of the first, but the second
is a Gentoo GNU/Linux. He brought the machine to have Grub installed,
because he couldn't have it manage his dual-boot configuration. After
fiddling a bit around an automatic installation, I abandoned all
pretense of using automation, and did things by hand. Which screwed
up, because we repartioned and Linux doesn't update its idea of the
partition table before a reboot (when some partitions on this drive
are mounted). A reboot later, the (manual) installation worked and he
was a happy dual-booter.

I explained a bit the concepts around IPv6 by mouth and paper. After
this, Rudi Sluijtman asked for a practical demonstration. I started
looking for a tunnel broker that would take him, but the complication
and delays of the procedure turned us off. I then decided to take a
try in the 6to4 architecture, which I never did before. After some
reading, I figured it out, and now Rudi has IPv6.

During my "get Rudi IPv6" struggle, Joost van Baal set to install
GNU/Hurd on an old machine he recently got (a 486-DX2, with an
interesting motherboard that has both a VESA Local Bus (VLB) and PCI
slots). The recommended way to do so is having another Unixy OS on the
machine first (preferably GNU/Linux, and preferably Debian
GNU/Linux). Although I succeeded in installing GNU/Hurd "directly"
without any other OS touching the hard drive (basically, from a Debian
rescue disk), just for the sport of it, the recommended way still
makes things easier, so Joost started by installing Debian
GNU/Linux. Basically, he couldn't get either the network card, nor the
CD-ROM drive (an old model of the kind that connects to the sound
card, not IDE/ATAPI) recognised, so no install. Interestingly enough,
he came with the machine, but without keyboard or monitor for it. I
couldn't give him one of my keyboard, as the machine has a big
connector, and all my keyboards have small connectors. He ultimately
had to go home and back to bring the stuff. He left before my minute
of glory when I finally got Rudi working IPv6.

Appendix:

 I set to install Debian GNU/Linux on Joost's machine (which he left
 to be picked up later) this morning. Network works like a
 charm. Wonder how Joost did to get any trouble >;-)

 More seriously, I did two changes:

 - I'm using the bf24 flavour of the install boot floppies

 - The network card was on a non-master PCI slot, but apparently needs
   one, like suggested by the ERROR (not warning) message the BIOS was
   spewing out at boot:

   ERROR: PCI Slot 4 doesn't support bus master.

   I moved it to slot 1.

<<inline: application/pgp-signature>>