Re: .if defined in GNU and BSD make

Ronald,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:57:47AM +0100, Ronald van Engelen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> While learning GNU make but at the same time using a tutorial that uses
> BSD make, I stumble on the following error (in Dutch) when running make:
>
>    Makefile:5: *** ontbrekend scheidingsteken.  Stop.
>
> #start Makefile form BSD make tutorial
> SUBDIR= dir1 dir2 dir3
>
> all:
>         @echo "make all" in `pwd`
> .if defined(SUBDIR) && !empty(SUBDIR)
>         @for subdir in ${SUBDIR}; do \
>                         (cd $$subdir; ${MAKE} all); \
>         done
>
> .endif
>
> It seems that I should put some sort of seperation mark in line 5. I
> can't find a solution in the GNU make manual; help would be appreciated.

And also you cannot find anyting about .if in the GNU make manual, because
it does not exist. Obviously you cannot use BSD make syntax whith GNU make
and vice versa.

Btw did you look in the info pages of GNU make? They contain much more
documentation then the manpage.

If you insist on using the BSD tutorial on a non BSD platform, there is
a program "pmake", that is available on many platforms, that behaves
like BSD make.

> Gegroet,
> Ronald

Groeten,