Re: sw pat: vote analysis

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:30:52PM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:
> Op http://www.vrijschrift.org/swpat/press/stemming.html staat een
> analyse van het stemgedrag van Nederlandse Europarlementsleden over
> softwarepatenten: Software Patent Directive Decision 2003/08/23.  Ik
> vind het wel interessant leesvoer.

Zie ook: http://swpat.ffii.org/papers/eubsa-swpat0202/plen0309/vote/analysis.html

De PSE, PPE-DE en de ELDR bekennen duidelijk hun voorliefde voor het
codificeren van vrijheids beperkende maatregelen als de 'industrie'
daarom vraagt.

Nu is de EU commissie, o.b.v. Frits Bolkestein [1], aan zet:

"Since the European Parliament voted for clear exclusion of software from
patentability in september 2003, the patent movement has been fighting
back through the EU Council. A EU directive can only become law if
Council and Parliament agree. The position of the Council will be
prepared by a workgroup of national patent officials on thursday
2003-10-23 in Brussels. At the meeting, the European Commission's patent
officials may propose to disregard the European Parliament's amendments
and go back to earlier texts from the Commission's and the Council's
patent officials which allow unlimited patentability. The UK government,
whose patent policy is determined by its Patent Office, is expected to
push for this option."

 [1]  http://web.planet.nl/archief/daily/dp396.html
      http://www.janmarijnissen.nl/publicaties/effedimmen_besteels.stm
      http://www.groene.nl/1996/40/rz_bolke.html

Jama Poulsen

- "Sorry to interrupt the festivities," said Hal, "but we have a problem."