Re: LDAP in OCaml

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 05:41:06PM +0200, Jama Poulsen wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 09:59:45AM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>> You told me you didn't find any LDAP library for OCaml.

> Its good there's indeed an LDAP client library (altough it
> doesn't support callbacks,

What do you mean by "callback"? Is this some LDAP thing that happens
to have a name collision with what C libraries call "callback"? Please
provide example code (in a human-readable pseudo-language) using
callbacks. I have the hunch that the library doesn't need to do
anything special, the language gives it to you.

> Development also stopped in 2001.

:-(

> Did you have a look at http://pleac.sourceforge.net?

Not yet. 5 minutes later: Ugh. To contribute, I have to read and
understand the Perl code first, thus teach myself Perl? Ugh. Big entry
barrier. Would you be willing to translate from Perl to English for
me? I'll be doing the English to OCaml translation. Well, at least for
things I know / interest me.

Just glancing quickly at the headings: The Perl heritage shows a lot:
E.g. the whole "Subroutines" section would look stupid in
OCaml. It is a functional language, potsverdomme. You don't want to
use subroutines.

There is no notion of "passing by reference" and "passing by value" in
OCaml. You pass around values, punt. To pass an array "by reference",
well, you just pass them.

"Making Variables Private to a Function". Well, there ARE NO
VARIABLES.

"Creating Persistent Private Variables" maybe would be a valid
trick. But the title should be "if you iterative programmer want to do
a persistent private variable, then the effect you want can be
achieved by ... in OCaml". It isn't a persistent private variable
(because there are no variables), but it achieves the effect you
want.

> PS: No need to CC me, I'm subscribed to this list.

What about setting a Mail-Followup-To, then? Oh, and the first msg
wasn't to the list CC to you, it was to YOU, CC the list. Difference.