OCaml packages

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 04:19:25PM +0200, Erp, A.J. van wrote:

> I've selected the ocaml packages for installation already. :) Do we
> need any special packages? I've selected the ocaml, ocaml-base en
> ocaml-libs if I remember correctly...

You'll find the package "cle" very useful. Alternatively, there is
also rlwrap, which serves the same purpose (same idea, another
implementation), ledit and even
/usr/share/doc/libreadline4/examples/rlfe.c.gz

Documentation might be useful, too (see below). You can read it online
on http://caml.inria.fr/, too, but their site is offline sometimes.

These are all you need for basic use, but the following are worth
mentioning:

 - ocaml-native-compilers

   If the time taken to compile a source file of size n is of the
   form:

   A + B * n * P(n) + o( n * P(n) )

   (P a polynomial, o(X) a quantity negligible wrt to X)

   then ocaml-native-compilers contain compilers that have a higher A,
   but a slower B than those is "ocaml".

   Bottom line: For big compilations, the ocaml-native-compilers are
   faster, for small compilations, slower.

 - zoggy and cameleon

   Interface builder and IDE for ocaml

   mlglade, too: Glade to OCaml compiler

 - ocaml-doc, ocaml-book-en

   (the book is not DFSG-free, insert here rant about whether DFSG are
    meaningful for documentation)

    ocaml-book-en is the O'Reilly book on OCaml.

 - tuareg-mode

   An OCaml mode for emacsen that's better than the one in ocaml.

 - ocamldsort, ocaml-tools

   Various tools useful for bigger projects: Dependency graph
   builders, makefile builders, ...

 - And many others.... "apt-cache search ocaml" will give a list,
   including graphical frontend for the debugger, graphical toplevel,
   domain-specific code builders, testing framework, ...

"Demo" products:

 advi, a very advanced dvi viewer, useful in conjunction with whizzytex

 mmm (or maybe mmmm), not in Debian, a browser (maybe not maintained
 any more, never was a threat to mozilla/galeon/konqueror anyway)

 ledit

 unison rsync-like product

 hevea latex to html translator

And many, many, many others: