Function Programming intro?

Hi,

I vaguely remember there was some interest about functional
programming and OCaml (http://caml.inria.org/,
http://www.ocaml.org/) in Enosig.

Maybe I could do a by-example intro to functional programming and
OCaml during the next meeting. Is there any interest for that?

The example I intend to use is SpamOracle, a bayesian spam filter
implementing the (now famous) idea of Paul Graham's "A Plan for
Spam". It is written by one of the main Caml compiler developer and
current release manager of the ocaml toolchain, so it can be presumed
to have good "camly" programming style.

I'd particularly like to contrast SpamOracle with a C implementation
of the same idea, bogofilter. The difference in size, clarity, ease of
understanding of the source code is IMHO quite stunning. As an
"hands-on" project, we could start to improve SpamOracle, implement
the various tweakings of the algorithm (like the one by Gary
Robinson), etc. "start" is maybe not the good choice, let's say
"continue together", as I already started on it.

So is there interest for this? Should I prepare something.

(This would obviously not happen all during the next meeting, but we'd
get started during the next meeting, and could continue on a mailing
list, for example)

<<inline: application/pgp-signature>>