Verisign breaks DNS in move to IDN

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/030201/35/30bn2.html

Verisign has been pushing for its own implementation of
Internationalised Domain Names (domain names containing non-ASCII
characters) for approx a year through a plug-in to Internet Explorer,
that converts the domain name to its ASCII encoding before
lookup. This system works thus only for webpages, and if the user is
using Microsoft Internet Explorer on Microsoft Windows.

In an "effort" to have this working on more browsers, Verisign
configured the DNS root servers to reply by a fixed IP address for any
lookup of a non-existing domain that looks internationalised:
198.41.1.35, also known as www.idnnow.com.

See for yourself, with that little perl script:

dig `perl -e 'print chr(160).".com";'` @A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET A

Scary, isn't it?

 - It breaks anything but websites. Mail for non-existent domains will
   be retried for days instead of bouncing immediately, and the error
   message the user will finally get will be incredibly confusing,
   making him believe the domain exists, but its mail servers are
   down. Apply to any other use of the IP network: ssh, instant
   messenging, printing, backup, time synchronisation, ...

Oh my, oh my, looks like Network Solutions / Verisign should be
dismantled under charges of profound stupidity.

<<inline: application/pgp-signature>>