Sylpheed misbehaving

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 02:34:50AM +0200, Jeroen van Erp wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:17:19 +0200 (CEST)
> Rudi Sluijtman <rudi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> waarom maak je van simpele ascii-tekst een base64 gecodeerde attachment?

> Dat heb ik inderdaad een keer meer gehoord en ik heb voor de
> verandering geen flauw idee. Ik doe niets meer dan mijn emails
> signen met mijn gpg key, en gebruik verder Sylpheed als mailer.

Here is the idea:

Any message containing high-bit characters could be recoded (e.g. to
Quoted Printables) by slightly buggy MTAs, if they are eight-bit safe,
but they detect the next MTA in the chain is not. (They are not
supposed to touch multipart/encrypted or multipart/signed messages at
all, but some do)

In your message, it was the "é" of "Café" in the text you quoted.

So, for extra safety, it is mandatory that clear-signed messages
be constrained to 7-bit characters only (section 3 of RFC 3156), if
necessary by QP or base64 encoding.

Now, Base64 encoding might make sense for Japanese, because nearly
every character is high-bit (so, if you use QP and the reader's MUA is
not QP-capable, he is screwed anyway, too much information is lost),
but IMHO isn't for European languages, where only a fairly low rate of
characters is high-bit, and thus QP-encoded mail can be read pretty
easily even if the MUA is not QP-capable.

I've made patches to address this, included my next message. Apply to
you heart's desire.

<<inline: application/pgp-signature>>