WiFi

Hi,

I just wanted to share with you that I'm planning to install a
wireless network in Luxembourg, to connect my family. I'll report you
any experience I gain from it (if a substantial part of my family
wants to participate).

In the process of preparing this, I checked what the current
regulations are for emitting without a licence in the 2.4-2.481GHz
range (the range used by 802.11b), and it is 100mW EIRP. When compared
to the USA, this is not much, there the limit is 1W EIRP, and there
are many "bonuses": If you use a directional antenna, if it is a
point-to-point connection, etc, the limit is raised.

This means that (if we ignore the bonus effects), the maximal range is
divided by three (more exactly, $\sqrt{3}$), unless we can separate
emission and reception antennas and put higher gain antennas /
amplificator on the reception channel. This is generally not possible
with off-the-shelf hardware.

Would someone check with the dutch regulation body what the limit is
here? The 100mW EIRP is a "European non-binding recommendation",
meaning some european body recommends the limit should be that, but
countries are free to regulate otherwise as long as it doesn't cause
havoc on the border areas.

<<inline: application/pgp-signature>>