Re: YaST licence

OK OK OK OK....

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 07:46:25PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 06:42:50PM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:
> > (En, overigens: ik geloof dat de SuSE mensen er goed in slagen
> > GNU/Linux onder bredere lagen van de bevolking te verspreiden; in
> > die zin zijn die mensen dus erg goed bezig, imho.)
>
> Ja, maar ze verspreiden GNU/Linux met een corruptie van het geest van
> GNU. Ze zeggen "belangrijke programma's in het systeem niet vrij kan
> zijn"

Ik denk niet dat dit een zinnige discussie gaat worden...

> =======
>
> (free translation by Lionel of JoostvB-talk)
>
> > OTOH, they are doing a good job of spreading GNU/Linux to more
> > people
>
> Yes, but the manner they are doing it is corrupting the very soul of
> the GNU.

I don't think SuSE is there to saveguard the "soul of the GNU".

<snip>
> > There are forums set aside for licensing flame wars,
> > please go post your thoughts there.
> >                                       http://darwinfo.org/faq.shtml
>
> You won't have me believe this is a random quote.

It indeed is not a random quote.

O well, there are just different opinions on this:

1 SuSE:

http://www.suse.com/us/company/suse_faq/index.html
"Open Source Commitment: SuSE supports a standardized and open source
Linux, available to all. We believe in retaining customers through
excellent service, not through proprietary software."

2 Debian:

http://www.debian.org/
"Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer."
"When we speak of Free Software, we mean freedom"
"most of the basic OS tools come from the GNU project; hence the name
GNU/Linux"

3 GNU:

http://www.gnu.org/ (some quotes collected from this site)
"free software is a political philosophy (or a social movement)"
"all programmers [owe] an ethical obligation to respect the users'
 freedom to share and change software"
"software which is published should be free."
"make our society better"

I guess people have to decide for themselves.  I am not very sure wether
it would be usefull to repeat all arguments which have been made on
these issues here again.  Information (and, yes, flamewars) on these
issues is abundant.

Bye,

Joost

PS: another non-random .sig (o my, more than four lines even...) ;-)

<<inline: application/pgp-signature>>